Sunday, February 6, 2011

Word Weaves 

A Young Adult novelist rants, raves, and muses about writing and the road to publication. Monthly YA book reviews.

I grew up a horse crazy girl in Florida. The word "horse" wasn't in my parents' vocabulary or their budget, so I lived out my fantasy in books. I read every horse book in the elementary school library. Then a fourth grade teacher read Marjorie Keenan Rawlings' "The Yearling" to the class. The book held me captive, chapter by chapter. I couldn't bear Rawlings' heart wrenching truths, and I couldn't stop listening. That year, my parents divorced. I remember sitting with my little brother reading his tattered copy of Dr. Seuss' "Green Eggs and Ham" and feeling comforted by the familiarity of a childhood treasure. I can't imagine a life without books.

I had two satisfying careers pursuing childhood passions...horses and art. For twenty years, I taught riding to students of all ages. A sketch I did of a well-known trainer led to fifteen years of portrait work.  Two years ago, I started writing a tale about whimsical figures I'd drawn in my sketchbook. The story played in my head while I took care of the dogs, did the dishes, took a shower...it even woke me in the middle of the night. Now that tale is a middle grade novel.  I look back and realize I'd been telling stories with my art all along. I miss the horses but they're nuzzling their way into my books.

I live in Florida with my husband, an artful photographer, and two barely civilized rescued dogs, Ella and Hobbit.

Email: info@susanbanghart.com

Country: US



Welcome to The YA Blogosphere! Please enjoy the NEW way to search through hundreds of blogs! Check out pages A-L and M-Z to find an alphabetical list of all the blogs below!

If you would like to add your blog to The YA Blogosphere, please be sure to read the
How to Use This Site page first!